Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Halfway Done!

Week 7

This week marks the halfway point through the semester! I had a bit of a split focus this week: while I was still working to scan/document the contents of the archive, I also began to figure out how I was going to create my online archive. I did finish documenting/scanning the final three photo albums, which, as ever, was a time consuming process. As this point, then, I have documented four of the ten boxes of materials. While the scanning/documenting process didn’t present any challenges that I hadn’t encountered in previous weeks, figuring out how to create an online archive certainly did.  

When Sophia and I began talking about this internship back in November, I was immediately excited about the idea of creating an online archive from the existing materials. The idea was particularly interesting because I work for a computer company that has close ties to the RFPL, so I knew there was a possibility that I could use our company’s program to build the site. This week, I walked Sophia through our program to show her what it could look like, and she seemed to be enthusiastic. I also began to mock up a presentation for my boss, as the last stage in a series of conversations we’ve had about donating our product to the library. However, while I began the week fairly confident that our product would mesh well with the needs of this project, the more I get into it, the less confident I am. It’s a fantastic product, but I’m not sure how well it would mesh with the currently existing library website. I want my online archive to fit seamlessly with the website the RFPL already has in place, and I’m not sure my company’s product would. I’m still presenting my mock up site to my boss next week, but I’m starting to think about alternate ways to create this online archive.

No comments:

Post a Comment