Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Technical Difficulties

Week 9

Suffice it to say, this week has been particularly frustrating. After the progress I had made with the online site last week, I had hoped to really dive into the remaining materials this week. However, when I tried to log in to my Word Press site at the beginning of the week, the site didn’t recognize my username and password. After many frustrating hours of contacting Word Press, Bitnami (the site I used to download Word Press onto my Mac), researching the issue online, etc., I actually had to start the process over from scratch. I uninstalled and reinstalled Word Press and started over. The first thing I did was create multiple usernames in this new site, all linked to different email accounts, so I wouldn’t encounter this issue in the future.

As frustrated as I was to have to start my site from scratch, it actually did have significant benefits. First of all, I am much more familiar with Word Press this time around, so the process was quicker. Second, I did manage to find a free version of the theme the current RFPL website uses, so I was able to perfectly recreate their site. My previous experience with HTML and Java script was invaluable during this process, as I relied heavily on the source code of RFPL’s site to replicate it in my own. Now, there should be no demonstrable differences between the two. As difficult as this week has been, my online archive now looks better than before, and I guess that’s all that matters!

No comments:

Post a Comment